Thursday, December 30, 2010

A Christmas Miracle

Christmas was so beautiful this year. It was our first Christmas in our first home with a new baby and my first time hosting a major holiday. The Christmas miracle? I loved it. The hosting that is. Well, I loved Christmas too of course, but when my family agreed to coming over for both Christmas Eve and Christmas, the miracle happened. I went into action. I put all the appliances on the counter, put all the spices on the windowsill, rearranged things just so, and began baking. Cookies, my gram's homemade candy, tiramisu, appetizers, and Christmas dinner, -my mom helped but it was nice to have her in my kitchen, preparing a ham together, etc. It was so nice. I think it's funny that it was easier to host my family than to go somewhere else because my kids just chill out at my house instead of getting hyper or something at another house. It never fails that when someone has us over at night, prepared a sit down meal and all, the baby or Shea has a meltdown and one of us is bouncing around a room trying to get them to calm down. They're great kids, but there seems to be a magic hour when 'stuff' hits the fan and goes all over. Sorry, that's a bad mental image. 
Speaking of images, I told my brother at Thanksgiving that my baby never spits up on me. Well, I don't believe in jinxing, but she has now puked on me almost every day since. I usually have a blanket around, but it has somehow found it's way to my clothes. Like the puke is magnetic and so are my clothes.
I apologize that this post is somewhat boring, but I realized that I haven't written in awhile and I wanted to warm my fingers back up. Really it's because I haven't had the time -as it is with everything it seems. I didn't get Christmas cards done either this year. We still have to take the kid's 'Christmas picture' but for me that requires cutting Shea's hair, which requires bathing him and all that just takes time, ya know? Well, we do bathe our children, at least with baby wipes. I do that 'we're going out of the house so while I'm changing my kid I should wipe their hands and face off' -or in my baby's case, clean the creases of the rolls under her chin. That's an adventure I don't love thanks to baby puke. For the record, we do give our kids baths. -maybe not as often as most parents though...
Anyway, if you're reading this, I hope everyone had a beautiful Christmas and I hope the New Year is filled with joy! (Although I didn't do the cards, etc, I did spend time with my family just taking in how Blessed we are. I loved watching my two year old get just as excited about chocolate milk in his stocking as he did the legos or train set). I hope you have time to just take in how Blessed you are too, and if you're still reading, thanks for being in our lives!!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back Merry. So happy you're writing again, because I missed it! I am soooo with you on the hosting thing. When the kids are home in their own normal environment, it's so much easier. They can at least have some sense of normalcy and less chance of melting down. Plus, I can put them down for a nap, or put the baby in the exersaucer and not have to hold her the whole time. And if it happens to be at night, I can put them to bed much closer to their normal bedtime and then relax and enjoy visiting with everyone without feeling like I should really get going 'cause the kids are getting crabby way past their bedtime. And if the kids get bored with adult conversation, they have all their own toys (new ones, at Christmastime) to play with, and can occupy themselves.
    Oh and yeah, I'm with you on the bath thing, too. The baby wipes comment made me laugh, because "been there, done that."
    So true about watching the little ones get excited about everything. Those are the simple years. You are blessed. Me too. And you bless me too. Thanks. Have a good visit with Mom and Dad this weekend. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Give Kev and the kids hugs and kisses from us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love hosting. It's always tougher to take young kids to a place where you're not sure where they're allowed, or what they'll break or sully. Not to mention the obligatory baggage that comes along with them, i.e. diaper bag, drippy sippy cups... etc... Nap schedule gets all screwy cause they missed a nap, or slept too much in the car, or both. Plus the fact that I never feel right about throwing away a dirty diaper in someone else's trash, especially if they're without kids... GOD FORBID you accidentally leave the favorite stuffed animal behind when you leave, too...

    Funny story... When I went to our family gig this year, I completely forgot to bring diapers or wipes... I had to stop on the way. Leave it to me!

    ... Which grandmother made home-made candy? I don't recall such a thing, so I'm thinking it was your father's mother?

    ReplyDelete